'Ahoy!' – Arnold's Champ Guide
September 14, 2015 at 8:00 pm #1369
I have come up with a few strategies for Champ (as he is the main character I use) and I thought I’d share them :). In my opinion, Champ is the best character for soloing bosses right now. If you like to play alone he is definitely a good choice as he deals tons of damage in a short time if you play it right.
1. Champ’s aerial and grounded Tail Jab count as different moves. This means you can alternate between them to build up your style meter extremely fast. In the beginning of matches, you can alternate Tail Jabs in the form Jab-Jump-Jab-Fall to build up your style meter in a matter of seconds, as it will go up 1 point per hit. Later in the game, however, I find it’s faster to use them in the form of Jab-Jab-Jump-Jab-Jab-Fall. Since you don’t need any more style, this method is much faster for damage.
2. Use Worm Beam. It is a great move and also hits 5 times, so it can help you build up your special very quick. His special is also extremely powerful, so don’t let it go to waste! I’d advise you to use Worm Beam any time it is safe. It is also great to use when you don’t want to get too close to the boss or after you get knocked away. Remember not to use it exclusively, because you want to keep your style up!
3. Mole Totem is great as well. Any time it’s ready, I like to get up close and personal with the boss because Mole Totem makes your character not receive knockback. Paired up with Deluxe Lemonade from the Victory Cafe, you can really deal damage quickly without taking much damage and no knockback. As a bonus, Mole Totem also does a decent amount of damage too.
4. Use good spacing! Aside from Worm Beam, Champ’s moves require him to be very close up. Learn to use aerial and grounded Tail Jab correctly and not get hit after using them. You can even fly through Celestial Beasts with a well timed aerial Tail Jab with good timing due to it’s invincibility. With proper spacing and guarding, you should be able to stay safe and not die with Champ.
5. Here is a technique I found out. Since Champ is invincible during Tail Jab for a short time, he actually has enough time to perfect guard after a Tail Jab. I’ll demonstrate it here:
All you have to is Tail Jab and tap C immediately after to do a perfect guard.
6. Practice! Go in to training mode and practice all of your moves. It shouldn’t be long before you are a Champ Master!
Thanks for reading! I will add more in the future if I am able to. Feel free to ask questions!September 17, 2015 at 7:41 pm #1372
Incredible guide, I’m making this a sticky atm. 🙂
I even aware of his ability to Perfect Guard directly after a Tail Jab, so I found that trick pretty nifty. As of the upcoming patch (1.9.8), I can confirm the trick still works even after Champ’s frames have been tightened up.September 17, 2015 at 10:26 pm #1373
Awesome, thanks 😀 I’ve been trying to incorporate it into fighting more. Also, is there a way to edit old posts in case I have anything to add in the future? It only lets me edit really recent things.September 18, 2015 at 6:09 pm #1383
I see that there’s a limit set on editing. There was no easy way to set the value to unlimited, so I had to write a custom function to disable the lock. Could you test to see if you can edit your original post now? Thanks!September 18, 2015 at 8:06 pm #1384
I still can’t seem to find the edit button.September 18, 2015 at 8:07 pm #1385
^ sorry about double post but I can’t edit at all right now o:September 18, 2015 at 8:48 pm #1389
The edit text should be where the “Reply” text is on posts. I’ve set the “time limit” to a very high number now, so if you still can’t edit the original post, please recreate this topic (copy and paste everything) and I’ll delete this current one and re-sticky the new one. The new one you create should remain editable. Sorry for the trouble!September 18, 2015 at 9:20 pm #1391
Alright, I can edit now. Thanks!January 29, 2017 at 8:47 pm #2266
I believe some of Champ’s properties have changed since the release of 1.5.1, which introduces the “Clash” mechanic. If Champ’s tail hits a clashable object it cancels his ability to guard immediately after. Some additional testing may need done to see if the Champ guard trick still works, but I think it should be the same.
If anything, the guard effect has at least been updated. 😆
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.